Sunday, February 22, 2009

grainne in the cathedral....

for my friends who understand the reference....yesterday, i felt like i was
"pulling a Margaret" hehehe (refers to a friend who has been know to do things like the following ;P ) anyway, we busted to get to the cathedral for the 12 o clock pilgrims mass in santiago, as a suitable ending.... on arrival at the side entrance, right before 12, i marched right through the door with grainne, entered the cathedral, and plunked down my backpack, my stick next to me, and me, right inside the door on the top of the steps, with grainne curling up and sleeping in my lap. now i know well that in spain they think dogs are outside animals but darn it we just walked from pamplona, and i felt like we were ENTITLED to sit in the cathedral for an hour while they said mass (never mind that i didnt understand a word of it as it was in spanish, hahahaha), and i was NOT abandoning my dog to sit outside and bark and be miserable and possibly get stolen after she had just trudged 3 or 400 miles as well. as far as i was concerned, we both had as much or more right to be in that cathedral as anyone else. plus there was noone to stop us and no sign saying no dogs. i got a lot of looks from people as we sat there but i was partly amused, partly aware i was callign attention to myself and partly didnt care cuz we had just walked a billion miles and we were entitled to be there. she was silent and curled up in my lap. i was enjoying not having to be anywhere do anythign and jsut being able to sit there. maybe we shoudl have gone somewhere less obvious but i was afraid to go much further than jsut inside the door, i figured i was being as "respectful" of their rules as possible by staying just inside the door. anyway, my peace and quiet only lasted about 1o minutes until we got kicked out by a security guard.....to whom i insisted we had just walked from pamplona we required to go to mass etc etc et c in my awful spanish. he made us leave. i was so pissed at the time and he ended up letting us stay in the entryway later with her covered with my sleeping bag, but now im more amused than pissed at the fact that i even so nonchalantly tried to pull this off. but why the heck not. i am SO sick of rules about animals in this country! must go, computer time up. but at least gro made it into the cathedral too. hahahah. take that, spain!!! hehehe. my dog was in your famous cathedral. ;p

5 comments:

  1. Like it would have killed them to let the dog stay in the church during mass. She was sleeping & not bothering anyone, so who cares? Whatever. Glad to hear you both made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, no kidding, huh? thats what i think.... ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping you would write of your arrival in Santiago, which for me thinking about you doing this in the winter with a dog, valiant woman, would have been an emotional moment. OK, I will read some more. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola,
    found your blog.. We are three german pilgrems meet you in Sarria and later in SdC. Maybee u rembember us.. see our blog.

    http://kick2009.blogspot.com/

    there s a picture of u with my brother in the kitchen of the auberge..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you took her in! yes spain needs a dog revolution and we all do our bit. my partner thought dogs should live outside when i first knew him but now he even accepts them on the sofa! little by little. poco a poco :)

    ReplyDelete